German is a difficult language. Apparently in my brief attempt to learn it I sound like I am trying to give it a Spanish accent which sounds ‘sweet’. I will persevere out of courtesy more than anything since I know everybody (certainly in the cities) speaks English and in some cases have more vocabulary than I.There are some circumstances with language which evoke a feeling of awkwardness that I quite like but still don’t know the best solution to dealing with it.
When in a group of friends or new people conversing in a language that you understand nothing of do you:
- Gaze past the group looking into nothing – Disengaged
- Fidget profusely with something – Irritated
- Pretend to do something that doesn’t need doing – What is he doing?
- Escape with a toilet break that you don’t need – Again?
- Or my personal favourite nod your head in synchronisation with everybody else conversing in the group, smiling when they do and then reaching a crescendo of a laugh only to realise you don’t know what you are laughing at – His German must be great